Monday, April 6, 2009

Orchid Narrative

Everyone thought the orchid was artificial. My friends questioned its authenticity after I climbed in the back of the red truck with the bright orange flower in tow. They rubbed the thick waxy petals between their fingers as they asked what type of orchid it was. I doubted myself more when the Thai blue taxi driver at the station raised her eyebrows as she asked if it was a real flower. More than once, I checked the dirt in the green plastic container at its base, fearful I had misunderstood the high price and the way the merchant had turned her back on me in what seemed to be irritation at a question I hadn’t asked at hearing the price.
Pang mag, deh suoy mag, she said. “Very expensive, but very beautiful.” I wondered if the beauty would only last until the color faded off the plastic petals.
I chose the only orchid in the greenhouse, taking its two buds as a sign. It would go to my second host family I’d stayed with in Thailand, a farming family in the small village of Mae Ta outside of Chiang Mai. A family who’d lost their only son in a car accident in the city where he had been studying. I stayed at their house for one week with a Thai student and they told us all they wanted was to have children in the house again. The two buds would represent their loogk saew sohng con, they’re two daughters who we had—in that short time--become.
I left as early the next morning after I’d bought the orchid as I could manage, carrying it by a hooked wire attached to it’s base. I wasn’t sure where I was going and I was going alone, so I took my vague directions from one of my professors and waited it out as red truck after red truck refused to take me to the blue truck station. The red trucks would tote people around within Chiang Mai and the blue trucks went outside of the city.
The first time I dropped the orchid was in the waiting area at the blue truck station to Lampang. Embarrassed by my clumsiness, I steadily propped it in a corner as I stood waiting to depart. The driver and I had just finished a confusing and inconclusive conversation in Thai and I nervously watched the truck, grabbing at my bags if he stepped near the driver’s side door, ready to jump in the back at any moment.
I dropped the orchid again inside the blue truck after I’d fumbled around trying to get comfortable on the wooden bench attached to the inside wall. The truck was full of boxes and buckets of dough to be taken to a Lampang market so I sat with my legs turned toward the end of the truck watching the traffic and passing scenery from the back door.
The orchid fell over a few more times after the blue truck had emptied and I searched nervously outside the small windows for anything that looked familiar. I didn’t pick them up right away as the driver opened the window connecting the front cab to the back seating area. He asked me where I was going and I tried to explain to him the directions I had gotten from my professor. He knew little English and I knew even less Thai, so in an act of desperation I called a Thai instructor and asked for help. I described where I was and then he wanted to speak to the driver and then to me again.
“You are in Lampang, Mahnee,” he told me. “You want to be in Lamphun!” He laughed. “You went to the wrong city!”
While holding in tears and trying to chuckle, I tried to tell him I had gotten bad directions from another professor. He laughed and wished me luck, asking him to call me when I got to the correct station.
I laid the orchid down for a while as the blue truck, empty except for me and the drivers, parked on the side of a busy road. My vision went in and out of blurs from tears as I realized I had no idea how to get back to Chiang Mai or to Mae Ta. I was in the hands of the drivers and although they tried to explain to me their intentions for sitting on the side of the road, I was using most of my concentration to keep myself from sobbing.
A large bus drove by and the driver flagged it down and waved me over to it simultaneously. He shouted in Thai to the bus driver and motioned that I get on the bus. The orchid was banged against passengers’ legs as I climbed into and empty seat near the front. I wish I had tipped the driver extra for taking care of me.
At the next station, I wandered around with my Thai professor on my big blue clunky cell phone transitioning between describing where I was and handing the phone off to locals who could help me along. I climbed on the back of a motorbike clutching my orchid as we zipped through allies and to another station. On the last truck that my instructor promised would take me to Mae Ta, I had time to look at my once-beautiful flower more closely.
It was significantly bruised, broken in a few places, but it still remained mostly bright orange and I tried polishing it to improve it’s color before the truck finally lurched to a stop in front of a cooperative I’d worked at in Mae Ta.
I climbed out of the truck and waited outside as they phoned my host mom. They had heard I went to Lampang instead of Lamphun and they all laughed at me and then gave me banana chips.
My host mom drove up on her motor bike, laughing because I’d gotten lost but also because she was relieved. Embarrassed, I gave her the bruised flower and tried to explain how beautiful it had been. When we finally understood each other and I explained the buds were for her two daughters, she looked at it and contemplated. Suoy mag, she said and she hung it up in her kitchen. Very beautiful.

6 comments:

  1. Study abroad stuff is really cool, I was waiting to read some. Is your experience in Thailand supposed to be illustrated by the beaten and bruised orchid, because I like that you tried to explain the past and ruined beauty of the flower, and then your host mother hangs it on the wall and says ‘very beautiful.’ I like that you don’t preface what is going to happen with the flower, you just say ‘the first time I dropped it.’ I think you can illustrate more how this occurrence was pivotal; it seems like just a snapshot right now of your overall experience. If you talk about how getting lost changed you and what the significance of the orchid was to you I think it wouldn’t necessarily make the actual story better, but the impact of the story better if that makes any sense. The writing is really tight and your confusion and borderline panic is apparent and it is a sensation that can be shared by anyone that has seriously lost their way, especially in a foreign country, where you don’t know the language. If you focus in a bit more on those feelings, I think the post-reading impact would be a little more memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marni, this is a really nice story with a touching ending. I didn't know you went to Thailand for study abroad. It must have been really cool. But if I were to get lost in a place where I didn't know the language very well, I would cry too. I liked how you described the flower and gave it significance in the story. I was intrigued by how your host family lost their only son and how you and your friend were like their daughters, and how the buds were for both of you, again giving significance to the orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAhhhh Marni. After this blog comment, and preferably outside of class, i would really like to talk to you about Thailand sometime. This piece TOTALLY brought me back to the place i love and have missed tremendously for the past 2 months. I too, made the mistake of traveling to Lamphun instead of Lampang, and I really appreciated the accuracy you provided in portraying the everyday confusion I experienced traveling around Chiang Mai. I can't even tell you how many times i was on the phone with Ajaan Mark or Pi Pooh crying and passing the phone back and forth to a rot deng driver who spoke no English and couldn't understand my at the time still-limited Thai vocabulary. At first I thought it could be that because I've been to all of the places you mentioned in your piece that I could paint the picture out of your writing a little easier than the others in our workshop group would be able to, but after reading through it a second time, I really believe you've got a way with words that drove the feeling of uncomfortable and exhilarating travel in a foreign country home. I also like the consistent theme of feeling eternally lost and out of place throughout the piece. Anyone who's been on study abroad knows how that feels at first, but the beautiful reunion you had with your Mae Ta host mom and the Orchid at the end really touched me, and reminded me of the times in Thailand where, as an outsider, I finally felt at home with the people who loved and cherished me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece! This story is very personal and very detailed, but at the same time it says a lot about the general experience of being in a foreign country, especially during study abroad. I think you really get the reader by being accurate and sincere when you describe the difficulties of your journey. I could imagine the feeling of helpless and vulnerability.

    The orchid’s survival works as a secondary story that makes your narration enjoyable to read. While you are the one in danger, the attention lays on the orchid.

    It’s very interesting how an ordinary conflict such as taking the wrong bus can become extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marni, this was such a treat to read. I didn't know you went to Thailand! It sounds like you probably had your share of adventures. This is a gorgeous story, and you do a great job capturing so many events and emotions so succinctly and simultaneously in such great detail.


    I particularly liked your explanation of the buses; the bar details--"the red truck" and the "blue truck station"--are such innocent details and work really well to convey how lost you were in trying to find your way "home" to Lamphun. The story comes full circle in a pure, not cheesy way, and there is serious feeling evoked by your host mother's declaration that the flower is "very beautiful."

    The fact that the flowers were bruised only makes the metaphor of your journey that much stronger. I admire how well crafted this piece is and I look forward to reading more of your writing! The only part that I was a little slowed down by was your description of being inside the truck. The image just wasn’t completely clear to me and I was more focused on the orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marni- wow, does this flow so well! And it draws you in right at the beginning. It revolves around this flower as both an object and an abstract concept then zeroes in, letting you know you’re in thailand in some bizzarely zen way I totally dig. The two buds as an omen—awesome. Uncertainty of the new country married with the uncertainty of your direction sort of married my uncertainty of what the piece was really getting at in the first half. The litany of dropping the orchid has this jesus with his cross feeling. Was that intentional? I would have liked more description of where these misstepps took you. I see the locals, I see the motorcycle, but what color is it? What do you see? The plants, the people, show me!! It is suoy mag, yeah, but it’s got this abstract quality that is throwing me off the bus, or truck, or motorbike. I want more lead-in. how did you decide you would buy the flower? How did you get the greenhouse? At the same time, not all of that is important. This is kind of a Joseph Conrad piece in that the journey is the point, not the end, but you’re dabbling between the meaning and the journey… why not pick one?

    ReplyDelete