Monday, May 4, 2009

50 minutes late, but still...50 minutes late.

Profile: Akiko Kunii
By Marni Newell
On a Monday evening, during the a reading of a new book of short stories by Kalamazoo College English professor Andy Mozina, Akiko Kunii enters the dark lecture hall and fumbles to find a seat in the back. She succeeds, but not without a few backward glances at her entrance.
“I came at the end because I was busy,” she explains. Busy only begins to describe it: Kunii is both a teaching fellow and a full time student at Kalamazoo College. She’s currently teaching Japanese 203 and taking Anthropology, Teaching Foreign Language, and Mind Body. She doesn’t belong to many campus groups, but is learning to dance for World Night. “I’m terrible, but I like it.”
As for free time, Kunii draws a blank. “When do I have spare time? Sleeping?” To understand better, she asks for a definition of ‘spare time’ and then reconsiders. “You can see me in the library or office, any other place I’m just running,” she pauses shortly. “Yeah, running.”
Kunii likes to get a ten to fifteen minute run in everyday, something she hasn’t done since she broke her arm running in the winter. “I hit the ground and it was terrible.” Her Japanese students were sympathetic and caring, though, sending her a “Get Well Soon” card written in Japanese and animal crackers. She appreciated the card, but liked it more because it was in Japanese, “I’m so happy and lucky to have nice students.”
Kunii knows Andy Mozina through a workshop they took together. “I keep asking him questions,” she says motioning to her right where he had sat in relation to her at the workshop. “And he would write it down to me the definition and the word and he read it to me.” To Kunii, that’s the most effective way for understanding English.
“People think international students don’t understand because we don’t know English. But I understand concepts.” Kunii reaches for my pen and slides the pad of paper near her to draw a fraction on the corner of the page. “You call this a fourth, right?” she points to the four with the pen. “In Japanese, we say the bottom number first.”
Kunii came to Kalamazoo College through a program offered in Japan that sends students all over the United States. She attended Northeastern College in Chicago before coming to Kalamazoo. Northeastern is “Very different. Much, much bigger.” When she has questions, Kunii attends office hours of professors, something more widely available at Kalamazoo than Northeastern.
When office hours aren’t available, Kunii uses the students at Kalamazoo. “I met her once at a women’s awareness group,” Senior Amel Omari says. “I had to explain to her what ‘bitch’ meant.” Omari smiles saying, “Now she says ‘Hi’ to me when she sees me.”
Manners are important to Kunii, who thinks one of the negative aspects of Kalamazoo College is how busy everyone is. “I can only say ‘Hi, how are you?’ when I see people when I’m running. In Japan, when we see people we—” she bends down to pantomime a bow. When Kunii is running and can’t bow she thinks she’s being rude.
Between preparing to teach classes and homework for classes she’s taking, Kunii tries to see the bright side of being busy. “[It’s a] good busy…because I can see so many things and participate. But it’s difficult because I have to choose.”

6 comments:

  1. This is a really good start, Marni. I can clearly see Kunii's personality and how busy she is. I can see that this piece is about international students that come to K and having to adapt to our culture. You can tell more about the struggle, how Kunii deals with it, and how people react to her. I know you put in that quote from that rude guy Omari, and that's good.

    Overall, I'm really liking this piece so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marni-this is cool! That said, you gotta finish it still, right? I feel like if you went over the 15 word outline again it would help. She has a conflict, but it is not complicated, and as a result could get boring if handled improperly. Either way stronger to get more complexity, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marni, this sounds like it’s going to be a really great piece on a very overachieving international student. I can’t wait to read more! The detail about cultural differences clashing, confusing Akiko, and causing feelings of doubt and guilt gave me a glimpse of the person. She sounds great. Also, the exchange she shared with Amel is truly priceless. I would love to know how that conversation went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really accurate profile of exchange students. I just did a documentary on a CHinese dude and he is overworking hardcore as well. I like Omari's quote and the bowing kicker quote, I think you could have done more with that kind of culture clash. I'm assuming there's more coming so I'd say include the bitch thing she had with Omari, and talk more about her workload conflicting with K culture and how her native culture conflicts with K culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first paragraph was great. It grabbed my attention immediately; I think it makes the reader feel closer to the character when we see him/her dealing with regular daily troubles, such as being late. However I would like to know more about Kuni. I believe that her Japanese background is very important, as well as the way how the cultural shock has affected her. For instance, I remember that I had a theatre class with her in Fall, once the teacher asked her to call her by her Pat, instead of Professor Daniels, but Kuni refused because that would be considered as something unrespectful in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The axle of this piece is for sure the conflict. We talked about a culture clash conflict around which to tell the story a lot in workshop, but I want to explore a different idea.

    I think digging into the idea that Akiko is both a professor and a student could make for an interesting Index-audience-based piece. How do the roles differ? Does she approach them differently? What ties them together? How does she balance the professor social circles and the student social circles? What does she identify with more?

    And I think you've already got some interesting commentary on this idea with Amel's quote. Here is this professor who is supposed to know a lot and be able to teach us a lot but is relying on students to teach her what the word "bitch" means? What does that say about the professor/student relationship?

    (Just as an aside, do you think other professors at K rely on students to teach them what new-fangled words mean or are they resistant to this type of learning?)

    Just a thought. Perhaps you could pull something out of it.

    ReplyDelete